Ensure High Levels of Competence in English and Maths
Effective use of English and fluent mathematical knowledge are prerequisites for success across the curriculum. In particular:
- We think largely in language. The ability of pupils to consider broad and abstract concepts is dependant upon both their vocabulary and the sophistication of their grammar.
- The ability to understand the ideas of others and communicate one's own thoughts is central to learning in school. The quality of collaboration in our classes is dependent on pupils’ standards of English.
- Key to our Early Years curriculum is learning through play. The ability to communicate well is fundamental to pupils’ ability to play together effectively.
- As children move onto the National Curriculum, learning in school and more broadly in life is hugely dependent on the ability to read. A very large amount of information in our society is communicated in written form.
- Numerical fluency is core knowledge required by all subjects across the curriculum. Maths develops the skills of reasoning, deduction, problem-solving, representation and logical connection, which are crucial thinking tools for wider learning.
Our curriculum enables our pupils to become sophisticated and flexible users of English and maths, as well as highly competent readers and writers. Click on the links below to find out more: